Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Kids Rooms

This is my first blog entry!  I figured what better way to start off my design blog than to start with one of my biggest passions: Kids Rooms!  When it comes to kids rooms I have a few rules and regulations that I like to follow!  I love the idea of a theme room but I despise over-killed theme rooms.  Simplicity and non-cheesiness are CODE!
 
My first ever Kids Room was a baby nursery for my first born son.  I am not in any way proud of this room.  I was attempting to work with the colors of the previous home owners (a Winnie the Pooh Nursery Yellow).  This could be where my aversion to yellow stems from.  I divided the wall into two sections keeping the yellow on the top and doing a denim faux finish on the bottom.  I was proud of one thing that came out of the redecoration of this room.  We put up a wood boarder 3/4 of the way up the wall.  On the main focal wall, we put a skinny shelf along the length of this wall.  The question remains... do I put pictures up of this dreaded nursery room?  I will do it for the sake of the blog.  Ugh!  It screams "country", yes?



When my second child was on his way, I started considering a toddler room for my eldest.  He wanted a Car Room but I felt it too common.  I deliberated and came up with the idea of an Underwater Room.  I hand painted seaweed up the walls and many many white bubbles.  Even my hubby lent a hand and painted an anchor.

He adored his room and I was pleased with my second Kids Room.  I wish I had pictures of this room while it had the little toddler bed in it and a real live fish tank.  I can only seem to find these ones of it.  If only I had taken better ones.


 
Soon enough my baby grew out of the nursery and my toddler grew out of his room.  It was time for a big boy room and no more nursery.  Happy isn't even close to how I felt when I painted over those denim walls!

There was no question, this big boy room was going to be a Hockey Room.  Inspiration came from a sleeping bag with a simple hockey rink pattern on it.  And thus, this room began taking shape.  The plotting of this room was difficult as I needed to use some math skills as to work with the dimensions of the room.  It was then that I called in my good friend Kerry http://just-you-wait.blogspot.com/ and decided to utilize her brain.  The circles were nearly impossible to do.  I was scrounging my house for anything that I could find that was the right circular size.

 A few good finds that I will note in this Hockey Room:
1. Scoreboard Light Fixture (these can be found
 online)
2.  Old hockey sticks painted in the matching Red used in the room
3.  Hockey Lava Lamp
4.  The perfect Red roman blind



Soon enough, the youngest was ready for his big boy room.  And there was no question in any ones mind that it was going to be a Football Room.  We live in Canada so finding anything football related is nearly impossible.  Once again, I called upon good friend Kerry to help map out this room.  There was a science to this room and we were going to figure it out!  

In the picture it is hard to see that there is a difference between the high gloss paint and regular flat paint.  Can you spot it?  For the numbers, we created stencils.  I recommend buying them if you can find them.  Everything else was taped off and done by hand.  

A few good finds for this Football Room:
1.  The scoreboard clock
2.  The lamp I created out of a cut open football
3.  Little jerseys to be hung on the wall as the dressing room area



Kerry and I took on the project of creating my youngest nieces baby girls room.  This was a fun one for us and a great house warming present for my brother and sister-in-law.  The table and chairs were a gift from me as I hand painted them to match the room.  This is the Mod Baby Room.


Shortly after the creation of the Hockey Room I heard that my eldest niece was getting a Princess Room for her birthday.  Although I didn't create the room, I came up with the idea of painting fairy dust on the walls.  I do not have pictures of this room but if I can get pictures I will put them up.  It was very easy and a cute touch to a little girls room.




2 comments:

  1. Michelle! These rooms are amazing! I love love love Rylee's room. So sweet and not too 'princess-y'. You have quite the talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mAYbe you should have baby number three and see what you would do for a nursery now : )

    ReplyDelete